Dean Schantz was born on February 28th 1924 to Sherman and Helen Schantz, on a farm just north of Stanton.
The farm that the Schantz Family lived on was sold when Dean was only about a year old. So in 1925, the family relocated to 140 acre farm just a little northwest of Red Oak that was then owned by John Baxter, who was the post-master. For those that know the area, the farmstead was located on what is now the old rock quarry on what is now G Ave. Even though it was a pretty new home at the time, there was no electricity. That certainly was not uncommon for farm homes. It was a typical farm of the time with corn, hay and livestock – hogs, chickens and milk cows. In fact part of Dean’s early chores was milking cows, along with typical farm chores.
Along with typical farm chores, Dean recalls being very involved in farm harvests of the day. He had a pony by the name of “Colonel” (pronounced “Kernel”) that he rode to
carry water to the threshing crew.